So, you’re remodeling your bathroom and you’re trying to decide between a bathtub and a shower. Which one is best? In this article, we’ll discuss the pros and cons of each type of bathroom fixture to help you decide which one you prefer.
Showers: Pros and Cons
Showers have become very popular in the last several years, so if you’re thinking about making the leap to a shower-only bathroom, you’re not alone. Lots of homeowners have looked at the advantages and disadvantages of showers, and many have decided to go with the walk-in shower option.
There are many advantages of walk-in showers including:
- Use less water: In this era of water conservation and environmental awareness, showers are the preferred bathroom fixture for people who like to use as few natural resources as possible.
- Faster: Unlike the bathtub, which must be filled with water before it can be used, the shower is easy to step into at a moment’s notice. This makes a shower a faster option for homeowners in a time crunch.
- Easy to step into: Curbless showers are easiest for older people to use. This makes showers the preferred plumbing fixture for adults interested in aging in place.
- Compact: Showers tend to be more compact than bathtubs, although some modern showers can get quite large.
Unfortunately, there are a few down sides to shower-only bathrooms. Some of the disadvantages include:
- Property value impact: A home with showers and no bath could deter some home buyers and thus reduce the property’s value.
- Small children need a bathtub: It’s hard for small children to get clean in a shower, so if you have children, this can be a problem.
- Maintenance: Glass doors can be hard to keep clean.
If you’re an older homeowner with no children, a shower-only bathroom may be your preference, but think carefully before installing a shower over a bathtub.
Bathtubs: Pros and Cons
Bathtubs have advantages and disadvantages just like showers. If you’re thinking about installing a bathtub during your bathroom remodel, these pros and cons can help you decide whether or not a bathtub is right for you.
Advantages of using a bathtub include:
- Children need them: Children need bathtubs for their bathing and showering.
- Relaxation: Bathtubs make relaxing and soothing muscles easier.
- Improve home value: Having at least one bathroom in the house is important to your home’s value.
The disadvantages of installing a bathtub include:
- Space: Bathtubs often take up more space than showers, although some mini bathtubs are very compact.
- Hot water: Bathtubs use more water than showers and can hog the hot water in your home.
- Aging in place: Many elderly people find getting into and out of the bathtub to be a challenge.
Work With an Experienced Plumber
Whether you’re thinking about installing a shower or a bathtub, working with an experienced plumber can help. Working with an experienced plumber helps ensure that your bathroom remodel will be functional as well as attractive. To find out more, contact a plumber in your area today. At Terry’s Plumbing, we can help! We install bathroom fixtures all the time, and we’re happy to install yours. To make an appointment, contact us today at (412) 364-9114.