A leaking tub faucet is usually a irritating, wasteful downside to have. Happily, for those who’re a assured DIYer with the appropriate instruments, you possibly can repair the issue with out skilled intervention. Changing the tap stem will often do the trick. On this put up, we’ll discuss concerning the instruments you want and the method for performing this process.
Collect Your Instruments
To begin, you’ll want:
- Screw driver
- Plumber’s wrench
- Jar opener
- Stem wrench
A stem wrench is a particular instrument that can enable you take away the stem from the within of the wall behind the tap handles. A stem wrench is simply needed if the hex nut that holds the stem in place is positioned behind the lavatory wall. If the hex nut that holds the stem in place is positioned in entrance of the wall, then the plumber’s wrench can be utilized to unscrew the stem. Both means, you received’t know what you want till you get the tap handles off of the wall.
Take away the Faucet Deal with and the Cartridge
You’ll must take aside the the tap deal with and take away the cartridge beneath. To do that, comply with these steps:
- Flip off the water provide to the tub. The water shutoff valve could also be present in a panel on the opposite facet of the tub, or within the basement beneath the tub.
- Activate the water within the bathtub. This drains the water from the pipes.
- Use the screwdriver to unscrew the tap deal with from the wall. In case you can’t discover the screw that holds the tap deal with onto the wall, examine behind the new/chilly plate on the entrance of the deal with.
- Unscrew the escutcheon from the stem. That is the collar that matches in opposition to the wall simply behind the deal with. You must be capable of do that along with your naked arms, until the escutcheon is caught. If the escutcheon is caught, wrap the escutcheon in a material or a jar opener to guard it from scratches, then use the plumber’s wrench to unscrew the escutcheon.
- Unscrew the stem from the wall. Use the stem wrench or the plumber’s wrench to take away the stem from the wall.
- Take the stem to the ironmongery shop and use it to discover a new stem of the identical kind.
- Take the brand new stem residence and screw it into the wall. Screw the stem into the wall by hand at first, then use the stem wrench or the plumber’s wrench to tighten the stem within the wall. There could also be an outdated threaded tube fitted over the outdated stem that must be inserted onto the brand new stem. This threaded tube is what means that you can connect the escutcheon to the stem, and must be inserted over the brand new stem.
- Screw the escutcheon again into the wall.
- Screw the tap deal with again on the escutcheon.
Is The Faucet Nonetheless Dripping? Name Your Plumber!
At Terry’s Plumbing, we assist householders in Pittsburgh repair their faucet leaks and different issues. In case you’ve given this leaky faucet your all and also you’re nonetheless having an issue, name us at this time at 1-877-483-7797.